Buying a second-hand car is often an affordable way to get on the road without forking out a small fortune for the latest model. Although purchasing a car is a very exciting process, it is important that you go through the relevant checks to ensure you’re buying with confidence. If you are looking for used cars for sale in North Wales or throughout the UK, this is a great list to get you started.
Before anything, it is important to make sure you are buying from the right place. Although you can buy used cars privately, the best option is usually to buy from a reputable dealership. The problem when buying privately is that you will need to have more knowledge about cars, buying from a dealership means you have a knowledgeable sales team, after sales care and often a guarantee.
Here is a list that contains some of the things you will need to check when purchasing a second-hand car:
Dents, Scratches And Cosmetic Imperfection
- Firstly let’s start from the outside. When looking at the car it’s important to have a look at the bodywork and panels, there can be indications here such as gaps and colour differences that will allow you to see if the car has previously been in a crash. Cosmetic imperfections such as scratches or dents can be easily fixed so don’t worry too much here.
- Little chips in a window screen can mean big problems down the line. If you spot a chip it will likely turn into a crack which means a replacement windscreen and possibly an MOT failure.
- A quick check of the car electrics is important. Check to see if the radio works, see if the windows work and so on.
- Checking the oil cap can indicate whether there is a head gasket failure. This failure is indicated by the presence of a white, mayonnaise-like substance which can be caused when coolant is mixed with the oil,
- A great sign for poor maintenance is the level of the oil, power steering and brake fluid. This is an easy check and can be done simply by popping open the bonnet.
Latest posts by North Wales Admin (see all)
- Making the Most of Small Kitchen Space - April 19, 2018
- The Movable Feast – The Food Festival that Comes to YOU - April 17, 2018
- The Victorian Extravaganza 2018 - April 16, 2018